April School Report
Spring is officially here! March was the new busy month at Hemlock School. The children were busy participating in PARP pep rallies and assemblies all month long. They attended Mad Science Up, Up & Away Pressure, Jets & Rockets and the Long Island Science Museum Star Lab. They celebrated Dr. Suess’ birthday, filled out their weekly PARP boards and won raffle prizes, and they shared their favorite poems and jokes with their classmates. Hopefully, everyone was able to jump start their spring cleaning by donating their gently used books to the Book Fairies Drive during the last week of the month. We also kicked off March by celebrating the achievements of our fellow classmates at the Reflections Award Ceremony on March 1st. A list of our school’s winning entries and artists is now posted by the main office.
Our Pennies for Patients Drive benefitting the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society began on March 23rd and will conclude on Friday, April 7th. Keep sending in your loose change with your children each day! We have wonderful parent volunteers that deposit the coins for the school on a bi-weekly basis. Our school nurse, Mrs. Raymond, is providing the children with updates every couple of days.
Our annual PTA Dinner was held at the Garden City Hotel on Thursday, March 23rd. I saw many of our parents there. It was such a fun and amazing night.
With the end of March comes the conclusion of our very successful Literacy at Lunch Program. Thank you to Brooke McHugh for seamlessly coordinating this program for all of us. Our children really enjoyed having us visit them throughout the winter months to play games with them and their classmates.
On Monday, April 3rd, there will be a Primary Joint PTA Meeting held at Hemlock School at 9:30am. Mrs. Bellovin and Dr. Cannone will present their Parent University Workshop, “Mathematics, Computational Thinking and Granola?” In addition, there will be an update on the High School Start Time Steering Committee. There will also be a membership vote to amend the GCPTA Budget and to approve the minutes from our last Primary Joint PTA meeting on February 7th.
Our PTA sponsored First Grade field trip is on Wednesday, April 5th! Our children will be treated to Earthbeats at the Kupferberg Center for the Arts. Click here for details kupferbergcenter.org
Our Hemlock Staff Appreciation Luncheon will be held on Thursday, May 18th. Our school committee members, Sivan Chapman and Rose McCoyd, are busy planning this event. They will need volunteer parents to help out. Be on the lookout for a Sign-up Genius in the next few weeks to help make this event special for our Hemlock teachers and staff.
We have open PTA Executive Board positions for next year. We truly appreciate your help selecting candidates for the following positions: President-Elect and Treasurer. To learn more about these positions or to nominate yourself or a potential candidate please contact, Pat Aprigliano at email@example.com or click here, http://bit.ly/GCPTAMake-A-Nomination.
Hemlock School will also have various Board Positions open next year. Sadly for me, many of our amazing 1st grade volunteer parents are moving on to Stewart and Stratford. I will advertise the open positions by our final Primary PTA Meeting and Thank You Breakfast on Monday, May 22nd. Please take a look now at all the different Board Positions at Hemlock School at gardencitypta.org for additional ways to get involved!
Order your child's September school supplies ONLINE in April! Save time & money with quality products. Custom packed for your child's classroom. Avoid summer shopping hassles: No crowds, traffic, or guesswork. Online order dates: March 6, 2017 – April 21, 2017. http://bit.ly/GCPTASchoolSupplies Supplies will be available for you to pick up on Saturday, June 3, 2017, at the Garden City Middle School Cafeteria from 9am-2pm.
Important Upcoming Dates in April
- Monday 4/3 - Primary Joint PTA Meeting at Hemlock School at 9:30 am (NOTE DATE CHANGE)
- Tuesday 4/4 - Board of Education Budget / Work Session at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- Wednesday 4/5 - PTA Sponsored 1st Grade Field Trip to Kupferberg Center for the Arts
- Monday 4/10 - 4/14 - No School Spring Break
- Monday 4/17 - School is Open Due to Snow Make Up Day
- Thursday 4/20 - Board of Education Meeting at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- Friday 4/21 - School Supplies Online Order Deadline
- Saturday 4/22 – GC Teachers’ Association Race for a Cure
A Look Ahead to a Busy May
- Monday 5/1 - High School Start Time Update Community Forum at 7 pm, GCHS
- Tuesday 5/2 - General PTA Meeting at 7 pm in the Garden City Public Library
- Tuesday 5/9 - Board of Education Budget / Work Session at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- Tuesday 5/16 - Get Out and Vote for Our School Budget and Field Day Snack, GCHS Gymnasium. Polls open 6 am - 10 pm.
- Tuesday 5/16 - Board of Education Meeting at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- Thursday 5/18 - Hemlock Staff Appreciation Luncheon
- Thursday 5/25 - Current Kindergarten Early Dismissal, 12:20 pm / Incoming K Orientation, 1:15 pm
- Friday 5/26 - School is Open Due to Snow Make Up Day
- Monday 5/29 - No School Memorial Day
As always, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to reach out! firstname.lastname@example.org,
PTA Director Hemlock