Why do we advocate?
Because this is our community and our schools:
▪ educate our children
▪ employ our neighbors
▪ are funded by our tax dollars
▪ influence our property values and help attract property owners to our community
Without our help, public schools in NYS and across the nation will face more reductions to programs and services for students. Becoming an advocate for education is not as hard as you might think. The only prerequisite is a strong desire to stand up for our students and our public schools. Effective advocates are prepared. They understand the issues and plan their communication. Most of all, they are passionate and persistent in advancing their cause. Adapted from Education Speaks.
Here’s what each of us in PTA can do:
▪ Become informed: Our Budget & Legislation Committee will do its best to keep you up to date on a host of issues. Read our updates in GC PTA's Monday e-Newsletters, visit our website pages and follow us on social media. Sign-up for NYS PTA and National PTA blogs, newsletters, and social media sites. Seek information from out district and websites and blogs dedicated to education news. There are many resources available.
▪ Ask questions: Don’t hesitate to call or email your PTA President, the Budget & Legislation Chair, District School Administration or the Board of Education if you have questions, comments or concerns.
▪ Attend PTA Meetings: PTA Meetings are extremely informative and give you great insights into what is happening in our public schools and issues impacting public education. You can attend any of our PTA meetings at each of our seven school buildings.
▪ Attend Board of Education meetings: Board meeting take place two times a month at 8:15 pm at the Central Administration Building or the High School. We understand attendin a Board meeting can be hard, we all have many other commitments, but these meetings are very informative. Pick a topic of interest to you and attend that meeting. Most importantly, if you have a concern, the Board needs to hear from you!
▪ Answer the Call to Advocate: From time to time, we will ask you to contact a legislator or sign a petition. If, after reading the information you agree, sign and send a message. GC PTA, NYS and National PTAs offer convenient electronic advocacy tools to help you easily reach our legislators and make your voice heard. Look for our Stand UP for GCPS in March, and sign-up with National and NYS PTA's Take Action with Engage today. It is easy to do and advocacy works!